Saturday, March 10, 2012

"Takbo, Maria Clara, Takbo!": A Different Kind of Ladies' Night

Michael and I attended our first event as runner/bloggers yesterday, which happened to be my birthday (March 9). Pinay In Action (P.I.A.) organized a running and fitness clinic in celebration of Women's Month, and since half of the Red Runners is a girly girl, my wonderful husband tagged along with me to hear and learn from the speakers of Takbo, Maria Clara, Takbo!

The clinic started off with Coach Ani De Leon-Brown's informative talk on running tips for beginners. This covered helpful advice on how to squeeze in a work out for busy moms who feel that they just don't have enough time to spare for exercise. I for one benefited from her tips on how to get started on working out again after a pregnancy. Like her, I'll really have to approach my training for running like a beginner, and build up from there. Hopefully, like her as well, I'll be able to do a long distance run within a few months of giving birth. Props to Coach Ani for doing a 21k race just recently and for looking mighty fit after having just given birth!

Chef Joey Prats proceeded to talk about diet and nutrition. His tips were very practical and realistic (Yes, it's ok to have a cheat day in the middle of a strict diet to keep one's sanity!). During his talk, I noticed how the ladies in the audience were extra enthusiastic about asking questions, perhaps because the subject of food is always of interest to most people. From Chef Joey's talk, Michael and I resolved to get back to healthy eating, having indulged during the many weeks I was pregnant. Without doubt, a fresh commitment to a healthier diet is something very valuable that we got from the clinic.

Finally, Senator Pia Cayetano shared an encouraging message on empowering women not just to live healthy and balanced lives, but more importantly to stand up against the abuses that many women face today. In her talk, she briefly told us the sad story of Melinda Ponce, an ultra-marathoner from Cebu, who was abused and eventually murdered by her own husband. Senator Pia made me realize that we can do something in defense of women like Melinda before it's too late. We can get involved, even if it's the unpopular thing to do, by speaking up and seeking help. You may visit Senator Pia's blog, MyDailyRace.com, for details on how we can do our part.

Clockwise from Top: Coach Ani De Leon-Brown, Chef Joey Prats,
Senator Pia Cayetano, and Michael proudly posing with loot for women!

All in all, it was a good first event for us not just as beginners seeking some good ol' running advice, but even more, as people who seek to make a difference and have a specific purpose for all that we do.

To top it all off, we won a box of scrumptious yet healthy cupcakes from Slice, Senator Pia's up and coming restaurant at High Street Central. Chef Mitch and Pat of Slice gave us this yummy treat for being the 500th follower of Slice on Twitter.

My birthday cupcakes

It was a happy birthday for me indeed!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Asawa for making me feel comfortable being one of the girls that night.

    ReplyDelete